** Must arrive 1 hour before closing time**
Marriage License – Jackson is a beautiful and welcoming place for a wedding. We in the Jackson Town Clerk’s Office would be very happy to help with the license application but you should know the couple is not required to get the license from the town where the ceremony will be performed; you can get a license at any New Hampshire town.
The application process will take about 45 minutes so please plan to arrive about an hour prior to office closing hours. The license is valid for 90 days from the issued date.
Effective January 1, 2008 until December 31, 2009, same-gender civil unions are permitted in NH. Effective January 1, 2010 same-gender marriages will be allowed and civil unions will no longer be permitted. All New Hampshire civil unions completed by December 31, 2009 can be converted to a marriage after January 1, 2010 at no additional cost to the individuals. After December 31, 2010 all New Hampshire civil unions will automatically be converted to a marriage.
The following provides specific details relating to New Hampshire marriages:
Age - 18 without parental consent. Females 13 - 17 and Males - 14 - 17 need consent of parent or guardian and a Waiver. (See Waivers below) Females under 13 and Males under 14 are not permitted to be married under any condition. Couples of the same gender must each be 18 as of the date of the marriage with no waivers granted.
Application - both parties must appear in person and sign the application. Armed forces personnel may forward an affidavit prepared by armed services or legal representative and send to town clerk if they can not appear in person. Falsification of any fact may make the applicant subject to criminal prosecution.
Blood Test - New Hampshire does not require a blood test
- Birth certificate – required for each individual
- Certified copy of a death certificate of former spouse, if applicable;
- Certified copy of a final divorce decree, if applicable;
- Certified copy of an annulment, if applicable.
Fee for the marriage license is $50.00 payable at the time of the application. Copies of the marriage certificate once the ceremony is complete are $15.00 for the first copy and $10.00 for additional copies when ordered together. These can be ordered through the mail by using the request form and including a check for the total.
Residence Requirements - None - Couples wishing to be married in NH may complete application regardless of residence.
Solemnization - In NH marriage may be perform by:
- A justice of the peace
- A minister of the gospel in NH ordained according to the usage of his denomination, residing in NH, and is in regular standing with the denomination.
- A minister within his parish, residing outside NH, but having a pastoral charge wholly or partly in NH
- Jewish Rabbis who are citizens of the U.S. and resident in this state
- Deacon in the Roman Catholic Church ordained according to the usage of his denomination:
- Clergymen who are not ordained and non-resident ministers or Jewish Rabbis, after being licensed by the Secretary of State. The application for the special license is on the NH Secretary of State Website. Click here for additional information and clarification on other persons permitted to perform marriages within the state.
The town clerk maintains a list of local individuals authorized to perform marriages.
Validity Period of the license - A license may be issued the same day of the application, provided all signatures and statutory requirements are met. The license is valid for 90 days from the date of filing.
Waiver - Party Under Age - When either of the parties is under 18 but meets the minimum age requirements (Female 13 - 17 and male 14 - 17) he or she may request permission to marry from a justice of the superior court or a judge of probate of the county in which one of the applicants resides. The request shall be in writing and the parents or guardian of the applicant shall join in the request. No age waiver shall be granted to persons below the age of consent (18) if both parties are nonresident. No age waiver is permitted for individuals under 18 wishing to join in a same gender marriage.
Restrictions - Marriage is not permitted in NH between people who are related by blood as first cousins or in any more direct lineage.
Shortening Time Period - On application to a justice of the superior court or justice of probate within the county where the proposed marriage is to be solemnized.
For more information on contact the Town Clerk's Office at (603) 383 - 4223 x 102