Members of the Jackson Women’s Sewing Club would like to share some ideas on classes and resources for people interested in sewing and other fiber arts and crafts. We are not endorsing any particular group but hope that you find these resources helpful. Please feel free to contact us to add some of your favorites to this list.
Local Classes and Resources
- Quilting Classes & Fabrics - The Quilt Shop at Vac N’ Sew, 234 White Mtn Hwy, Conway, NH 03818 603-447-3470 Quilting lessons, fabric and supplies. See their website for class schedule.
- Machine Quilting
- Saima Davis of The Attic Cat 661 Town Hall Rd -- Effingham, NH 603-539-4669
- Kate Roden of Quilted Daisy -- Kearsarge, NH 603-356-2988
- Local Quilting Group - The Material Girls -- Part of the RSVP program. Meets each month to make quilts that are donated to area charities. Contact Benny Jesseman at RSVP 356-9331
- Weaving Lessons - Essence of Art, 10 Seavey St., North Conway, NH 03860, 603-356-9045 Non - profit organization offering lessons and items for sale such as placements, scarves, table runners, tops and tunics made by members of this shop.
- Exeter Fine Crafts, Exeter NH - classes in pottery jewelry and fiber and folk arts
- Portsmouth Fabric Company, Portsmouth NH - Class Schedule
Local Products and Businesses of Interest:
- Simple Sacks - Beautiful fabric bags made in the North Conway shop by Eileen Russ and Cheryl Hurst
- Essence of Art - 10 Seavey St, North Conway, NH - Beautiful one of a kind woven clothes and table runners, placemats and napkins all made on the premises.
- Handcrafters Barn - North Conway next to Bavarian Chocolate House - featuring many handmade items by local artists, including those by Jackson Women's Sewing Club members.
Other Websites of Interest:
- American Textile History Museum, Lowell, MA - Quilting, Spinning, Knitting and Weaving Lessons
- Fletcher Farm School for the Arts and Crafts, Ludlow, VT - Learn Knitting, Quilting, Crocheting, Weaving and other fiber crafts in a school setting. Short one to two day classes offered with accommodations on campus or in local Inns.
- Haystack Mountain School of Crafts, Deer Isle, ME – Fiber arts classes with accommodations
- Maine Fiber Arts Center, Topsham, ME
Useful Links for Sewing and Quilting:
- American Textile History Museum, Lowell, MA
- America’s Quilting History
- American Quilters Society
- Fabrics - reproduction vintage fabrics
- Fabrics - antique, Asian and novelty fabrics
- Keepsake Quilting Fabric Shop, Center Harbor, NH
- Maine Quilt Show
- New England Quilter Museum, Lowell, MA
- Quilt Alliance
- Quilt History and Research
- Quilting - patterns, fabrics, kits
- Quilting - free patterns for personal use
Useful Links for Knitting and Other Fiber Arts:
- Lismore Sheep Farm - great wool, kits and patterns
- Knitting Patterns (Free)
- Knitting Patterns (Free)
- Left Handed Knitters
- Printing on Fabric - Pabric Store online
Festivals and Shows:
- Machine Quilters Exposition, Manchester, NH
- Vermont Quilt Festival, Essex Junction, VT
- Lowell Quilt Festival, Lowell, MA
- Cocheo Quilters Guild Show, Rochester, NH
FOR ADDITIONS OR CORRECTIONS: contact Helene Matesky.