In 1774, NH Governor Benning Wentworth granted 8,740 to Rogers, Wentworth and Treadwell, including the area that became Prospect Farm. The area became known as Rogers, Wentworth and Treadwell Location.
At some point in the late 1700’s or early 1800’s, the grant was divided, with R.A. Mason getting the western division and J.B. Mason acquiring the eastern division.
In 1830, a partnership of David Pingree and Ebenezer Coe purchased the western division for the timber. The eastern division was sectioned into lots, with lots 14 & 15 making up the bulk of what is now Prospect Farm. The Hall lot was added to these, making up the 500+/- acre Prospect Farm.
In 1831, William Johnson was the first settler with town records showing 100 acres of land (lot 15). The Johnson foundation can be found just uphill of the apple orchard.
The Hall, Baker, Johnson and Garland families settled portions of Prospect Farm and the foundations of their homesites dot the landscape. Tracking land ownership has been a challenge as these records have been found in Grafton, Coos and Carroll Counties. A major void in the records is a result of a fire in the Coos County Courthouse in Lancaster.
The various lots changed hands several times until 1911, at which time the Baker family had acquired all of the original Prospect Farm except for a single 100 acre lot.
In 1942, Edith Baker grants the Prospect Farm lands known as “Camp Wildcat” to the Town of Jackson in her will. Her son Ezra Baker had life tenancy until his death at which time title to the land would pass to the Town of Jackson.
In 1960, the Town of Jackson acquired the 500 acres Prospect Farm.
In 1961 and 1962 the majority of the timber was harvested off the lot.
In 2003, a detailed Forest Management Plan was developed for the property. A series of timber harvests, access improvements, vista development, and apple orchard renovation have occurred under the guidance of the management plan.