Jackson Public Library, 1901
John K. Porter of Boston, who was a guest at the Thorn Mountain House in 1879, initiated the idea of a "Free Public Library for the Town of Jackson, New Hampshire". In 1896 Boston architect William Ralph Emerson was retained by artist Frank Shapleigh to design a house overlooking Jackson village and upon completion of the residence, Shapleigh or his wife asked Emerson if he would design a small library for the town. The laying of the stone foundation began on August 22, 1900. The new library was opened to the public on August 1, 1901.
The library was originally built at right angles to the Jackson Community Church. It was moved in November 1931 when the stone bridge was constructed, to make way for the redirected Route 16. The building was moved approximately thirty feet down the bank of the Wildcat River and rotated to face north rather than west as it had originally.
In 2010 the Jackson Public Library moved to the restored Trickey Barn which had been moved to the Gray's Inn property near the town office. The old library remains at its historic location.