Jackson Town Hall, 1879, addition 1900
Jackson’s early town meetings were held in homes and later in a school. The idea of constructing a town house was first considered at town meeting in 1872 although it was not until 1879 that the motion, to build a suitable town house to hold town meetings in, met with approval.
In 1900 town meeting authorized the expenditure of $1000 to enlarge the town house, including construction of anterooms and a porch. Much of the work on the town house was completed by O.S. Lucy. It was voted to add electric lights in 1901 and a furnace was installed the following year.